Monday, February 18, 2013

JUDGING VS. JUDGMENTAL


Jesus didn’t say not to “judge”.  For example He said, “Why don’t you judge for yourselves what is right?” (Luke 12:57), and “Look beneath the surface so you can judge correctly” (John 7:24 NLT).  Yes, we should judge between right and wrong, and stand for what’s right and stand against what’s wrong, because there is a right and a wrong.  There is good and there is evil.  There is the Lord God’s way that leads to life and there is every other way that leads to death.

Jesus didn’t say don't judge; He said don’t be “judgmental.”  We must keep ourselves in check that we don’t take the place of God in judging others.  We’re all ultimately accountable to Him.  He will have the last word.  We all will have to face God, who will judge everyone, both the living and the dead (1 Peter 4:5 NLT). 

What’s the difference between a “nonjudgmental person” and a “judgmental person”?  Nonjudgmental people are aware of their own flaws and potential for failure.  They are therefore cautious about criticizing others.  Judgmental people classify wrongdoing into acceptable and unacceptable categories.  For example they decide it’s unacceptable to steal from others, but acceptable to tolerate sexual lust as long as it’s not acted out.  “Acceptable” and “unacceptable” are decided according to what the judge tolerates in his or her own personal life.  Jesus said, “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged.  For you will be treated as you treat others.  The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.  And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own?” (Matthew 7:1-3 NLT).

1 comment:

  1. A very good lesson and one I just had with a family member. I've learned over the years that being judgmental can lead to a bit of paranoia concerning any comment someone makes to you that isn't acceptable to you. I had a tendency to believe I wasn't a good person when someone placed judgement on me, and yet I knew I was. Unfortunately being judgmental can become a habit that can kill...your spirit, your connection with God and all the love that is waiting to comfort you. Judging what is right or wrong with the wisdom and influence of Christ there is a peace. Being judgmental steals ones peace. Thank you Father God for this message...a reminder to always check my comments before I speak. Let no word leave my mouth that would be judgmental and cause harm to another's spirit. Lead me in all areas of my life with a clear knowledge to be able to judge what is right or wrong...especially when it brings me out of my comfort zone. I thank you for your forgiveness and mercy and give you all the praise and glory for the peace in my life. May my life be guided by your will for me in your son's name Jesus...Amen

    ReplyDelete