Monday, August 26, 2013

CONFESSORS & DENIERS

We can’t live with blades buried in our bodies… or in our souls. 

The following two Scriptures speak loudly about grace and confession:  Where sin increased, grace increased all the more (Romans 5:20).  If we confess our sins, he will forgive our sins, because we can trust God to do what is right.  He will cleanse us (1 John 1:9 NAS).

Confession is a die-hard reliance on God’s grace.  It’s a declaration of our trust in God’s goodness.  If our understanding of God’s grace is small, then our confession will be small and our trust in God will be small. 

But great grace generates complete honesty and loving trust.  It comes down to a matter of the heart.  We can pray as David did in Psalm 139:23-24, Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way (NAS).

Sometimes we may ask ourselves, “Was my confession to God sincere enough?  Was it sufficient?”  The answer is “yes.”  Who among us really knows all our transgressions?  Who has honestly felt sufficient remorse?  If the cleansing of confession depends on the confessor, we are all doomed, because none of us has confessed accurately or adequately.  The good news is that the power of confession is not with the person who makes it but the God who hears it. 

Count on the certainty of those words, “He will cleanse us.”  He will, not He might or could or has been known to.  He will cleanse you.  And He will heal those inner wounds and mend your heart.  That’s the power of God and His grace when we are completely honest with Him from the heart.

1 comment:

  1. While reading this message the word "honest" is shedding a glaring light on the reality of my own confessions. Time for a little self evaluation. I've asked for forgiveness for my sins and yet sometimes I still feel a bit unclean. Perhaps I need to use a little of God's soap to clean those areas I keep seeming to forget...like "honest" confession...actually seeking and acknowledging all sin. Am I just going through the motions and not washing behind my heart? Have I gotten lazy and just take God for granted that I don't have to honestly search my heart, my words and my actions? Am I sincerely confessing or am I giving God a blanket statement to cover all my sins for the day? How can I grow without acknowledging the areas I honestly need to confess. I know God understands I won't get it accurately or adequately, but what I can do is to make sure that my confessions are more specific. Father God, forgive me for all the times that I don't honor your forgiveness because I simply take it for granted. Help me to understand that it is in the honest confession that I should be asking forgiveness. I want to always feel the true joy of your love, your grace, your mercy and your forgiveness. Thank you Father for your sacrifice of your son, Jesus so that I can be forgiven and live a joyous life. I pray that I'll always live a life that will honor and glorify you. I ask these things according to your will...not mine. Amen

    ReplyDelete