Monday, December 5, 2011

HEALTHY CONSCIENCE

The Apostle Paul served God with a clear conscience. He said in his letter to Timothy, “I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience”, 2 Timothy 1:3. The conscience is a powerful part of each one of us. According to Romans 2:15 (NLT) our conscience speaks to us, They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. Our conscience is one of the ways God directs our words and actions.

If the conscience is stifled, resisted, or denied, not only will sin increase but emotional health will be sacrificed. Spiritual and emotional health diminish. The world’s ways which are expressed in very influential ways through our current culture push many people to go against their consciences. A self-focused attitude is loudly proclaimed, and would seem to drown out the voice of conscience.

However if the voice of conscience is muzzled enough, it can become deaf, blind, and speechless to truth. We become deluded. Not only do we become sick individuals – spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and relationally – our society becomes sick as well. Or should I say our society IS sick and unhealthy. It’s in desperate need of truth.

Jesus said, "…know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32. The truth is what sets us free from our delusional selves. The truth is what frees up our conscience so that we can become healthy.

So what’s the key to knowing the truth? In verse 31 Jesus begins by saying “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, …” John 8:31. The key is to live as a disciple of Jesus, a follower of Him and His teaching. It means to believe in Him such that you learn how to live from Him. You learn life from Him. You actually get life from Him. That is the way to truth which sets our consciences free from self-deceit, from delusional thinking, from emotional pain, and from oppressive on-going guilt.

Guess who has been given the responsibility to express the truth? It’s been given to the church. Whether our society realizes it or not, it needs the church. It’s the agent through which Jesus makes more disciples.

As disciples of Jesus, we must serve Him with a clear conscience. Here are some of the ways a clear conscience can make you healthy and strong:

A clear conscience:

• makes you courageous to tell others about the difference Jesus has made in your life (Acts 23:1)

• leads to right conduct toward the world and toward other believers in Christ (2 Cor. 1:12)

• is necessary in order to love others (1 Tim. 1:5)

• is needed to fight the good fight of spiritual warfare (1 Tim. 1:19)

• is needed to serve in the church (1 Tim. 3:9)

• produces a pure character (1 Peter 3:16)

• is provided by the Lord (1 Peter 3:21)

• makes you competent and certain (Heb. 13:18)

A clear conscience must be worked at continually. Paul said in Acts 24:16, “I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.” Make it a priority to have and maintain a clear conscience. It is a powerful part of who you are and who you become.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this message. I've printed it and will put it up so I can refer to it daily. I love that you not only give biblical references, but that you identify in words I understand what the true value of a clear conscience means. We live in a world that continually redefines a clear conscience based on circumstances. There can only be peace with myself and with God in His definitions of a clear conscience. It's based on His perfect truth. How grateful I am to have a God as my Father. I realize that my conscience will constantly be attacked and compromised every moment that I take my eyes and heart off of Him. For today Lord I pray that when my eyes, ears, voice and actions stray from your wisdom that you will pull my heart strings taut and whisper in my ear..."I will never leave you or stop loving you...take my hand so I can direct your path." Thank you for your son Jesus who removed from my conscience the guilt of feeling imperfect and inadequate to call on you. It has been through your sacrifice, love and grace that I'm forgiven and that I don't have to aspire to perfection. It is my faithfulness, obedience, and love for one another that is important. I pray that every day you will continue to reveal my purpose in specific ways through your perfect will in my life. As always I ask this in your precious son's name Jesus...thy will be done. Amen

    ReplyDelete