Monday, December 12, 2011

TIS THE SEASON FOR WISDOM

Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the reign of King Herod. About that time some wise men from eastern lands arrived in Jerusalem, asking, “Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star as it rose, and we have come to worship him.” Matthew 2:1-2 (NLT)

To have been able to find Jesus, to even know about Him and being from a far country, and to be sensitive to the Lord God’s leadership – the wise men must have been very learned and well-read men. They were wise.

God says we should be wise. He wants us to learn and grow. He tells us to add to our learning and be instructed. He says that revering Him is the gateway to knowledge of true knowledge. “Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance, … The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:5, 7.

What are you reading this holiday season that will make you wiser? I know it’s a busy time of the year, but if we’re going to keep our perspective and balance we need to take the time to nurture our souls. It’s wise to become knowledgeable of God’s ways and to follow them.

1 comment:

  1. This message made me stop and think. What am I reading? Lets see...the Bible, Pastor David's blog, Beth's "Sound Bytes" blog, Our daily Bread, Proverbs 31 online daily bible study, Bible Gateway (Reading the New Testament in a year- made it to Revelations). Looks like I might be on the right track to wisdom until I heard a whisper in my heart...what else do you read? What a wake-up call! Do my attempts to gain wisdom become cloudy by all the worldly books, magazines, and yes even some of the scholarly volumes that constantly try to disprove God's existence? My commitment to gain true wisdom from God through his word requires me to remove all
    distractions so that my mind will not wander. Heavenly Father, forgive me for allowing distractions to draw me away from our time together. I pray Lord for guidance, and understanding in each of your precious words. Help me Lord to discern your will for me. I pray that for today and all the tomorrows to come that you will lead me beside the still waters so that I might gain wisdom in the quietness of our relationship. Thank you Father for your love and patience as I continue to grow up in your word so I can share the good news without fear of misinterpreting or misleading another. Bless Pastor David and his family as they have so richly blessed our lives. In Christ's name...thy will be done...Amen

    ReplyDelete