Monday, March 19, 2012

WHEN DOES GOD SHOW UP?

I will sing of your love and justice, LORD. I will praise you with songs. I will be careful to live a blameless life—when will you come to help me? I will lead a life of integrity in my own home. I will refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar. I hate all who deal crookedly; I will have nothing to do with them. I will reject perverse ideas and stay away from every evil. Psalm 101:1-4 (NLT)

Have you ever asked the question – “Where are you God?” Particularly in difficult times we start looking around for God. We need Him. We need His help. We need His wisdom. We need His love. We need His grace. God gives us some parameters that when followed tell God that we believe in Him. And it’s when we believe in Him that He expresses His power and provision for what we need. So sing to the Lord about His love and justice. Sing songs of praise to Him. Lead a blameless life in public. Lead a life of integrity in private in your own home. Refuse to view anything that is empty, vulgar, obscene, dishonorable, or false. Detach yourself from anyone or anything that goes against God. The New American Standard translation says that anything that would pull me away from loving God “shall not fasten its grip on me.” Reject the perverse and reroute your life away from every sin. When we follow these parameters we are saying to God that we respect Him and revere Him. We’re saying that we really trust Him with our lives. It’s then that He expresses His grace, His power in our lives. Jesus said, “Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness are blessed, for they will be filled.” Matthew 5:6 (HCSB)

1 comment:

  1. As I was reading this I had several different thoughts: If God is my solid "rock" star...when would I expect him to show up? Would I keep him in the wings waiting until I wanted him to show up? Would I put myself in the position of being the opening act for God or would I let him be the star that he is...not needing anyone to help him with his performance? I think I would need to remove myself from center stage and wait in the wings singing his praises for all that I have and for all that I am. Another thought was...is my house and my heart prepared for God's presence. Has my table been set so that it is pleasing to God? Is my plate (my conscience) clean? Are the utensils (my words) that will go in and out of my mouth clean and honorable? Is the water from my well (my soul) pure? Will the bread (my obedience to his word) I've baked just fill his stomach or fill his heart? Have I been so busy in the preparation of outward appearances that I have forgotten the most important thing...to invite him to the table? What I have gained from this message is that God is always with me but I have a responsibility that when I ask him to show up that I have prepared a path that he can enter...one of praise, forgiveness, obedience, trust and an abiding faith that he can work with me and through me. Thank you Father God for always showing up...for your forgiveness and mercy and filling my soul with a peace, strength and love that through you all things are possible. I give you all the praise and glory...thy will be done. Amen

    ReplyDelete