Monday, April 16, 2012

THE GIFT OF MANAGING


I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him, even though I used to blaspheme the name of Christ. In my insolence, I persecuted his people. But God had mercy on me because I did it in ignorance and unbelief. Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus. 1 Timothy 1:12-14 (NLT)
Paul gives a very brief testimony of His conversion experience.  He was considered faithful to be put into service for the Lord.  God was wiling to entrust a ministry to him.  Paul had formerly acted wrongly toward God and people because he didn’t believe God.  He didn’t have spiritual sight before his salvation.
God strengthened him to believe, called him to serve Him, and showed him mercy.  Through Christ he experienced the generosity and grace of God.  And God gave him faith to trust God and love with which to love Him. 
According to the Parable of the Talents (Matt. 25:14-30) God expects us to manage well what He has entrusted to us.  Jesus concludes the lesson of the parable by saying in verse 29: “To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away.”  
God has entrusted a “ministry” to you.  He’s given you natural and spiritual abilities to be used in service for Him.  He gives you the strength to do what He’s given you to do.  You’ve been appointed to serve.  He’s given you grace and He continually give you the grace for each day to serve Him.  He even gives us the faith we need to trust Him and the love we need to love Him.  He is generous beyond all comparison. 
The response on our part to God’s generosity is faith.  Now we must be faithful to Him because He was willing to entrust something of His to our management. 
Use the abilities and opportunities He’s given you for the cause of Christ.  And He will strengthen you and be merciful to you all along the way.

1 comment:

  1. I always look in anticipation for your Directions on Daily Living and this blog. I've learned so much here in the quietness of my room with your words inspired by God's word's...with God leading my heart to gain the wisdom He wants me to have and the action to move forward.
    This message particularly struck a heart string for me. How often have I asked for something and when I received it have selfishly kept it to myself. In other words damaging my testimony about sharing. How often have I felt like it would appear like bragging not realizing that in giving God the glory eliminates that. Why haven't I thought at times how my blessings could give hope to those in need. Although I'm very grateful for all I have I often seem to be managing my wants and desires rather than sharing them beyond saying they have been met.
    It's time for me to share with others the praise, love, appreciation for all I have and for all I don't have. How fortunate I am to have a Heavenly Father who knows what is best for me and gives so generously in His perfect timing. He asks so little of me...wanting only for me to share my abilities, opportunities and blessings with others.
    I have the best gift ever to share and that is my salvation. Why am I afraid I'll mess it up? Do I think if someone doesn't accept Christ that I'll be held responsible because I didn't say the right things? Oh my, when did I become more important than the simple words of salvation. Apparently, I need to start managing my thoughts as well as my actions.
    "Father God, forgive me for not managing all that I have, all that I am and all that I think in ways that could be more pleasing to you. Help me to know that you will always put the right words in my mouth and in my heart in leading others to salvation through your precious son Jesus. Lord lead me toward the service you would want me to fulfill and give me the wisdom and strength to do it well and abundantly. Thank you for loving me, forgiving me and for your mercy in my failings. I pray that beginning today that I'll always hear the word "I" more loudly so that I can remember that it isn't about me...its all about you. Bless Pastor David as he leads us and help me to be a part of growing our church. I give you all the praise and glory...thy will be done...Amen.

    ReplyDelete