Monday, April 23, 2012

KEEP GOING


When Jesus arrived on the other side of the lake, in the region of the Gadarenes, two men who were possessed by demons met him. They lived in a cemetery and were so violent that no one could go through that area.  They began screaming at him, “Why are you interfering with us, Son of God? Have you come here to torture us before God’s appointed time?”  There happened to be a large herd of pigs feeding in the distance.  So the demons begged, “If you cast us out, send us into that herd of pigs.”  “All right, go!” Jesus commanded them. So the demons came out of the men and entered the pigs, and the whole herd plunged down the steep hillside into the lake and drowned in the water.  The herdsmen fled to the nearby town, telling everyone what happened to the demon-possessed men. Then the entire town came out to meet Jesus, but they begged him to go away and leave them alone.  Matthew 8:28-34 (NLT)

The town’s people and the herdsmen were more concerned about their own things, such as their pigs, than about the lives of others being changed for the better.  And though the herd of pigs may have been the livelihood of the herdsmen, if they had let Jesus replace the pigs with something better for their provision, they would have had a better life.  Instead they begged Jesus to go away and leave them alone.
Some people are so self-absorbed and concerned about their own interests that they will actually resist the good Jesus would do in their lives.  When you try to help others move toward Jesus, to welcome Him into their lives and discover the change He can make in their lives and the good He would do, they sometimes resist.  And that can be discouraging to you.  But don’t let their resistance stop you from going to others to give them the good news of what Christ can do.  Instead direct your attention toward someone else who may be receptive to the good God wants to do in his or her life.
Sometimes God directs us to those who are willing to hear by directing us away from those who aren’t willing.  The point is that we keep going to people so that God can steer us to the ones who are ready to hear the good news of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Resisting the good Jesus can do in a person's life reminds me of my own resistance before I joined Clay Community Church. I visited so many churches that I began to wonder if I would ever find a place where I would feel accepted. The painful truth is that what I really was resisting was change. I knew I had accepted Christ as my personal savior, but never fully understood how important it could be in my life to share that experience with others...simply because I didn't think they wanted to hear what I had to say. How many times did I stop Jesus from putting the right words in my mouth so that someone else would have the opportunity to know him? Do you realize that at this point I have used the word(I) 12 times! What an awakening for me about being self-absorbed. Dear Father God, please forgive my selfish ways. Remove the walls of resistance that keep me from your desire to transform me. Give me the wisdom through your word to hear your voice and know in what direction you would have me go. Help me to be a godly vessel of your good news and to pour out its contents continuously. Help me to not become self-absorbed and self-selecting when speaking to others. Thank you for loving me and entrusting me with such a wonderful mission. When the path isn't clear my prayer is that your countenance will shine brightly so that I may reach the destination of your choosing. Thank you for Pastor David and my Christian family at Clay Community Church. I give you all the praise and glory in everything knowing that thy will be done not mine...Amen

    ReplyDelete