Monday, May 21, 2012

THE INTEGRITY OF DECISION-MAKING


Titus 1:15-16 (NLT) Everything is pure to those whose hearts are pure. But nothing is pure to those who are corrupt and unbelieving, because their minds and consciences are corrupted.  Such people claim they know God, but they deny him by the way they live. They are detestable and disobedient, worthless for doing anything good.

Those with pure hearts will honor God in their decisions and actions.  The heart gets more consideration than the action because the heart influences the action.  “The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7.  When your mind and conscience are right and pure toward the Lord, the right action will follow.  Paul says in Romans 14:22-23 Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves…and everything that does not come from faith is sin.  Another way to say it is if your mind and conscience under the leadership of God’s Word and God’s Spirit don’t condemn you regarding a particular action, and it doesn’t weaken someone else’s faith in God, then it’s okay to do it.

The responsibility we each have is to keep our minds and consciences pure before God.  One surefire way to do this is to consistently read and apply God’s truths to our minds and confess our sins to one another.  The Bible says that God’s Word refines us like fire refines precious metals.  “Is not my word like fire,” declares the Lord, Jeremiah 23:29.  James says in James 5:16 Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.  A mind true to God’s Word.  A conscience true to one another.  This is the way to gain the right and true perspective to make those decisions that seem to be in the gray area of right and wrong.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I removed it to make a couple of edits. I republished the corrected version. Have a blessed day.

      Delete
  2. I'm so grateful to live in a country where I can read God's word. Every morning as I read my verses in the Bible, there are some Books that are difficult to understand. But what I'm learning in my personal time with God is that what he truly wants me to understand in the moment he shines a light on the words. It's like an AHA! moment for me. It's a time when in His most powerful, loving way he melts my conscience and heart into one understandable pool of knowledge. This message reminds me that this is where and when I need to be making my decisions... not trying to micro manage and control every moment of my life from the demands of this world. How can one have a pure conscience and heart when decisions are made from the outside? Father God I ask you to forgive me for always wanting to guide my own ship. Always remind me that when I decide to take the wheel without you as my compass I will always end up lost. Father I pray that you will continually melt my heart and conscience into a pure vessel that you can use to spread your precious word. Lord, remove me from the gray areas of my life and fill it with the colorful beauty of your love, forgiveness, mercy and wisdom. Help me to always be "conscious" of having a pure "conscience." I thank you and praise you for never giving up on me and blessing me continually...even during the times when my decisions have not pleased you. I'm so grateful that "your love endures forever." All these things I ask in your precious son's name Jesus...Amen

    ReplyDelete