Monday, October 15, 2012

STRENGTH IN UNFAVORABLE CIRCUMSTANCES


I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity.  Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:10-13 (NAS)

Paul expresses his joy in how the Philippian church gave to him.  They took the opportunity to give, and Paul rejoices in the fact that they showed their concern and care for him and his ministry.

Paul did not speak from lacking anything, because he had learned to be content in all circumstances.  He learned the secret of getting along in very circumstance, with much or with little.  There were times when he was filled and times when he was hungry; times when he had an abundance and times when he suffered need.  He learned how to get along with all of it with the strength of Christ.

The strength of Christ is what brings contentment.  Being content doesn’t mean the absence of suffering or the absence of hunger.  Contentment is being able to deal with every circumstance in the strength of Christ, even when the circumstance doesn’t change.  Paul was chained to a Roman guard 24/7 when he wrote these words of encouragement to the Christians at Philippi.  And throughout his letter he continually expressed his joy in Christ.  Contentment is an inner strength that Christ gives.

How can you have the strength of Christ in order to be content in every circumstance?

1. Rejoice in the Lord.
Find your joy in growing your relationship with the Lord.  Lasting joy is not found in circumstances because they change.  You have circumstances where you work, with your co-workers, where you live, with your family, where you go, with the equipment you use, with your health, … and the list goes on.  Circumstances are constantly changing, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.  And that’s why we can’t depend on them to “feed” us contentment.

2. Learn to be content.
Life is a classroom in which we are constantly learning.  School is never out.  Therefore, take the opportunity to learn what you can about contentment.  Learn the truth about it – it comes from Christ.  And keep learning.

3. Know how to.
The way we learn “how to” is to exercise contentment in every situation.  That’s the way to know how to experience it.  Put it into the equation.  Practice it and refine it.

4. Say “I can with Christ”.
It’s not “I can’t.”  It’s “I can.”  Take a step of faith.

5. Obey Christ.
Do what He teaches.  Stay in His Word.  Act according to His will.  He will deliver on His promises and He will strengthen you.

1 comment:

  1. I thank God for his gift of not giving me everything I wanted. This has allowed me to experience a deeper understanding and contentment in my circumstances...trusting always in his promises to provide for my needs. The times when I step out into my will I always find discontent, guilt and feelings of unworthiness about myself. The aroma of the "human instinct" really "stinks" sometimes. The aroma of a godly grateful heart carries the scent of peace, contentment, and the knowledge that I am loved continuously through all my circumstances in life by my father...God. Thank you Father for giving me opportunities to exercise and experience contentment as I rejoice in your love and power knowing that that through faith I can overcome any circumstance. Father I pray that you will continue to lead, uplift and bless Pastor David. I pray that our church will continue to grow and mature in ways that will reach out to our community and bring them to Christ. I ask all these things in Jesus name according to our will...Amen

    ReplyDelete