Monday, July 8, 2013

BOATING

We can learn to trust and follow God as a sailboat is dependent on the wind and sail great distances with God, or we can choose to trust in our own strength as a motorboat is dependent on its engine and only venture so far until we run out of fuel.

Sir Francis Drake prayed:  “Disturb us, Lord, when we are too pleased with ourselves; when our dreams have come true because we dreamed too little; when we arrived safely because we sailed too close to the shore. 

“Disturb us, Lord, when with the abundance of things we possess, we have lost our thirst for the waters of life. 

“Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly; to venture on wider seas where storms will show Your mastery; where losing sight of land, we shall find the stars.”

As you grow in your spiritual life, are you willing to look past the small body of water you know well and see the vastness of the sea?  Will you decide not to be confined by your self-generated power and instead decide to really believe what God says and trust His power?

I pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 1:19-20 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. In years past I not only sailed close to the shore I often stayed tied to the pier...drifting only a feet from what I believed to be safe. Did I feel safer, was my life joyous and fulfilled...no. The closer I stayed to shore the more fear I harbored. This year when Gordon and I made the decision to take a giant leap of faith and get married we cut the rope at the pier and set sail on a journey of faith knowing what earthly challenges we would face, but eager to experience God's power, love and promises for our lives. When we worried about food...He prepared for us a feast; when we worried about the monthly budget...he has balanced it perfectly; when we wanted to increase out tithe and find a way to save a little and still live...he introduced us to the 10% Give, 10% Save and the %80 live. When I saw the 80% to live on I said, "Really God. this can be done?" Yes it can. Now that we have set sail in God's waters we feel safe, well nourished, we are saving, and giving to others and to God all that is His. We recognize that we aren't the owners of our lives or our things and we are so grateful that God has been so generous to share this with us. When the storms start to churn the waters I'm reminded of Peter...and I pray, Father, never let me take my eyes off of you and find myself sinking to the bottom of the sea. Help me to see you as the compass in my life leading only to you. Thank you for your love, forgiveness, mercy, wisdom and discipline so that I might serve you in a more powerful way. Thank you for my sweet husband who loves you more than me so that our love for one another is more pure. I'm so grateful for your sacrifice of your only son so that I can live an eternal life with you. Help me live my life in a way that is pleasing to you and that others will see you in me. In Jesus name and according to your will for my life...Amen

    ReplyDelete